Recently, the new Peanuts movie opened. I’ve been a fan of this crew for decades now. How can you ignore the simplicity and transparency of Charlie, Lucy, Snoopy, and all the rest? Below are just a few of the great quotes from the Gang. Check these out and see what strikes you today (all are attributed to Charles M. Schulz, the inventor of the Gang):
- “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” – We need to keep things in perspective. Sometimes, I do my best thinking when I have a large basket of chocolate in front of me. There is just something about chocolate that makes you relax and forget all the complexities of life. Give it a try. When there are too many items on your plate, try a little chocolate comfort to help you sort them out.
- “Sometimes I lie awake at night and I ask, “Is life a multiple choice test or is it a true or false test?” …Then a voice comes to me out of the dark and says, “We hate to tell you this but life is a thousand word essay.” – We simply cannot script the times and events of our lives, no matter how much we would like. We plan that every batch of every product will be perfect, but it doesn’t happen. We plan our projects with 500-line Gantt charts down to the day and penny. However, it seems changes to the chart are needed every day. Our work is complex. However, our ability to adjust and yet remain professional and kind to others defines our character.
- “Are you upset little friend? Have you been lying awake worrying? Well, don’t worry…I’m here. The flood waters will recede, the famine will end, the sun will shine tomorrow, and I will always be here to take care of you.” – I am so fortunate to have many people in my life that I just know will always be there when I need them! No matter what life brings, there are those that will be at my side to help me through it —- I know it and go to sleep at night comforted by that. Do you have such people in your life? Why not tell them today that this quote applies to them and that you appreciate having them in your life?
- “All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. For after all, he was only human. He wasn’t a dog.” – There is just something about a dog and the loyalty they show every day. What can we learn about the unfailing love and loyalty that our dog shows us? Can we not exhibit even a portion of that to those around us?
- “Exercise is a dirty word. Every time I hear it I wash my mouth out with chocolate.” – There are no possible additional comments that could be make with this. In short, enough said!
- “Just thinking about a friend makes you want to do a happy dance, because a friend is someone who loves you in spite of your faults.” – When is the last time you did a happy dance because of a friend? Perhaps, today?
- “Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed.” – This one strikes me perfectly! It is very nice to have all that uphill climb behind me!
- “Happiness is waking up, looking at the clock and finding that you still have two hours left to sleep.” – Yes, this feeling hits me many nights at 1:00am.
- “If I stand here, I can see the Little Red Haired girl when she comes out of her house… Of course, if she sees me peeking around this tree, she’ll think I’m the dumbest person in the world… But if I don’t peek around the tree, I’ll never see her… Which means I probably AM the dumbest person in the world… which explains why I’m standing in a batch of poison oak.” – This quote speaks to me about taking risks. How many great things in life would never have occurred if we didn’t take a risk — or, step out from behind that tree? Then, when you think about those positive things, you might ask, “Why don’t I take more measured risks? Do I always have to play everything so cautiously?”
- “Learn from yesterday, live for today, look to tomorrow, rest this afternoon.” – Obviously, this was said to a morning person. The point here is that sleep and rest are often over-rated. Live, take a risk, go for it!
So, for those true Charlie Brown fans, enjoy the movie!