Today is the fourth inning of The Porch’s baseball series at the start of the 2016 season. Today, we look at the important concept of “If you can hit….”. So, here is the full line-up for the series:
· First Inning: Everyone has a chance!
· Second Inning: Patient pondering, then frantic action!
· Third Inning: The aggressive team is often the winning team
· Fourth Inning: If you can hit….
· Fifth Inning: Many singles are better than one solo home run
· Sixth Inning: A strong bullpen is key
· Seventh Inning: Time to stretch
· Eighth Inning: Rally time!
· Ninth Inning: “It ain’t over till it’s over”
One of the true statements that applies in baseball at all levels is, “If you can hit, there is always a place on the field for you.” In short, this means that, because an excellent hitter is not in plentiful supply, the coach will always find a way to ensure that the excellent hitter is in the game. Every team values a strong offense and, thus, makes every attempt possible to keep those strong offensive players in the game.
In our business, the same principle applies, “If you are a top performer, there will always be an attempt to keep you in the game.” In other words, your pathway to job security and marketplace value is your performance. If you provide great value to the company, you will be recognized and avenues of opportunity will always be before you. I have heard it said (and, I have actually said this myself about some of you on this distribution list), “I believe that __________ (he/she) could do almost any job in this company, if given a chance!” When you have or find that kind of person, you must value them, nurture them, and demonstrate every day how much you appreciate them! And, when you become one of these individuals, you can work with confidence knowing that you have a bright and exciting future.
So, if you can hit, there will always be a place for you! Make yourself that person! And, have a magnificent day!