I recently ran across the following quote:
“Work for a cause, not for applause; live life to express, not to impress; don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt.” – Author Unknown –
It made me think of people I miss when they are not around. Then, it made me wonder why is it that I miss them. As you probably know by now, when I philosophize (oftentimes, on my porch at home), I make lists. Here is my list of “why I miss some people when they are not around” – this applies to home, work, and other places:
- Some people I miss simply because of the way I feel when they are near – I’m sure you know this point well. There are just some people in my life that make me feel all better, even when I’m not feeling well or when I’m not in the greatest of moods. These individuals have a way of lifting the mood when they are present. What is it about these that I can emulate? How can I become more like that?
- Some people I miss because they make this a better place – If you are like me, you have a list of people that you know make this a better place when they are present. You just get a more confident feeling about the place when you know their car is in the driveway or when their computer “green dot” is on or when you sense that they are in the same house or building. You know they make a difference… a positive difference. You know that things simply are not as good when they are away.
- Some people I miss because I am a better person when they are near – Have you ever noticed that some people have this knack of making everyone else around them better? How do they do that? But, it is true, some have that sense of calm or warmth or caring or direction or vision or hospitality or whatever it is that makes everyone else in the room better just because of their presence.
- Some people I miss because we have been through so much together – My wife and I have been married for almost 41 years. We have been through so much together that I am just not the same when she is not near. There are others in my family or workplace that make me feel the same way… individuals that have worked with me in one or two other companies together. We just have a different bond than those that have not been through the same journey.
- Some people I miss just because they make me smile – Yes, some people make me smile just by thinking of them. Life is different when they are away.
- Some people I miss… just because – And, finally, some people I miss for reasons I cannot pinpoint. However, their absence still creates that emptiness that is just not present when they are near.
So, there is my list. Now, the question is this, “How can I live my life that makes my absence felt when I am away? On the other hand, does my absence make some glad?” We should routinely take personal inventory of our lives. Today might be a good day to just ask whether you are making such a difference in the lives of those around you in such a way that your absence leaves a vacuum that only you can fill.
One last quote for today from another unknown author that should make us all go home and hug our family this evening:
“Because you never think that the last time is the last time… you think there will be more… you think that you have forever… but you don’t”
Thanks to so many of you for making a difference in my life. Thanks for being in my life! Have a fabulous day!
One thought on “Are you missed when you are away?”