Today is the eighth inning of The Porch’s baseball series at the start of the 2016 season. Today, we look at the important concept of “Rally time!”. So, here is the full line-up for the series:
· First Inning: Everyone has a chance!
· Second Inning: Patient pondering, then frantic action!
· Third Inning: The aggressive team is often the winning team
· Fourth Inning: If you can hit….
· Fifth Inning: Many singles are better than one solo home run
· Sixth Inning: A strong bullpen is key
· Seventh Inning: Time to stretch
· Eighth Inning: Rally time!
· Ninth Inning: “It ain’t over till it’s over”
In baseball, there comes a point in every game where one team must rally (that is, come from behind) or face defeat. A rally often means you must overcome significant obstacles, such as an extremely sharp pitcher, defensive errors, or an inability to get a clutch base hit. But, when you are able to come from behind to win, the victory takes on greater significance and meaning. A come-from-behind win often means you have “snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.”
There are times in our private or work lives when we, also, need a rally. There are days or weeks or years in which things do not go our way and we need to come-from-behind. We need to overcome those obstacles and snatch that victory in our personal or work situation. You can see this from the quotes below:
1. “Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome.” – Booker T. Washington
2. “All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me… You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.” – Walt Disney
3. “The fact of being an underdog changes people in ways that we often fail to appreciate. It opens doors and creates opportunities and enlightens and permits things that might otherwise have seemed unthinkable.” – Malcolm Gladwell
So, how about you? Is it “Rally time!” Today is a good day to make it happen. Have a “top ten” day!
One thought on “The Eighth Inning: Rally time!”