Each of us is a leader. Some lead people at work. Some lead our neighborhood association. Some lead children or youth teams or groups. Some lead families. Almost everyone has an opportunity to lead either every day or on occasion. So, we should all desire to become better or more effective leaders. And, sometimes, being a leader becomes challenging, results in undue stress, or might even drag us down.
Today, I hope to encourage you as a leader. What you do is important. My challenge today is to consider the impact you are making on those you lead. Whether you know it or not, you are making a difference to those you lead. You could even make a lifetime difference. So, today I have summarized a few ACTUAL comments I have heard from individuals I have known over my 38 years in industry. All of these comments were made to express honor or admiration for an individual that once served as their leader. Some of these I have even said myself to leaders that made a difference to me. When you realize that you are making this kind of impact in the lives of others, it should inspire you as a leader and motivate you to keep pressing on. Take a look:
- Because of you, I didn’t give up
- Because of you, I learned that I am capable of much more than I ever thought possible
- Because of you, I decided to go into your field or line of work
- Because of you, I want to be a leader, too
- You inspire me to do more and do it better
- You make work fun and worth my best effort
- I wouldn’t be where I am today without you
- You made the hard work worth it
- I keep coming back because of you
- This would not have been possible without your help and leadership
- You inspire me to reach my potential
- You never gave up on me
Hearing someone say something like this to you can make it all worthwhile. So, leaders, realize that you are making a difference in the lives of others. And, for all of us, if there is someone in your life now or in the past that has made a difference to you, tell them! They may be at a low point and wondering if they should keep going. Make a huge difference to them by saying something… today, if possible.
Thanks to you all for making a difference in the lives of those you care about. Have a great day!
One thought on “Inspiration for leaders”