We often try to make life much more complex than it needs to be. Devices, intended to simplify our lives, consume us. We have more “time saving” things in our lives now than ever, yet we are busier. If you are like me, every project at home is harder or more complex than I thought it would be. Let me illustrate with one of my favorite recipes.
Summertime is a great time for get-togethers with family and friends. But, when you are invited to attend one, the same problem arises that might even take the fun edge off the event, “What shall we take? Not everyone likes that. How will we keep it warm/cold until we get there? What if someone else brings it? Isn’t he allergic to it?” The questions keep coming until we give up and take something we didn’t want to take that others like less that we hoped.
I am personally for keeping life simple. So, when you are asked to attend one of these summer events (especially one that I’ll also be attending), try this one (this has been in our family for generations – it was improved from one obtained from others – the originator is unknown):
- One large bag of Regular M&M’s
- One large bag of Peanut M&M’s
- One large bag of Almond M&M’s
- Carefully open the bag of Regular M&M’s. Pour approximately one-half of the bag into a sealable container.
- Carefully open the bag of Peanut M&M’s. Add approximately one-half of the bag to the container with the Regular M&M’s. Mix carefully.
- Allow mixture to sit undisturbed for one minute at room temperature.
- Carefully open the bag of Almond M&M’s. Add approximately one-half of the bag to the mixture. Mix carefully.
- (Note: Do not use any M&M that falls from the bags onto the floor or countertop. If you dare, you may eat these.)
- Refrigerate the mixture for about one minute. Do not over-cool!
- Remove the mixture and add all remaining M&M’s from the bags. Use a wooden spoon (not your bare fingers) to mix this carefully.
- With minimal disturbance to the mixture, transfer all contents into your chosen serving bowl. Cautiously scrape the sides of the mixing bowl to remove all ingredients.
- Serve at room temperature.
Why do we make our lives more complex than needed when we could accomplish the exact same thing in the most simple fashion possible? This recipe is always a hit anywhere we take it for any occasion. Why worry about doing anything else?
The same often holds true in other aspects of our lives or work. We overthink the issues, then “complexify” matters by making it harder, rather than simpler. For example, I have actually seen situations in which 3 or more forms are needed to accomplish something that could have been done in less than one minute! We need to get in the habit of asking, “How can I accomplish that task in the best, yet most simple manner?” And, we should always be on the look-out for activities that add no value at all.We can also simplify our lives be de-cluttering — eliminating both the figurative and literal junk in our lives. The simple approach is often the best approach.Thanks for making a difference in the lives of others. Think today about how you can make your life simpler and better. Have a fabulous day!
One thought on “Keeping life simple”